Lords Department of oncologists have a broad-range of expertise and a powerful network of cancer staff who are dedicated to provide the highest-quality patient care, with ultimate goal of increasing cancer cure rate, and working towards a world where cancer is prevented or cured, and every survivor is healthy.
We are offering the three major areas of oncology: medical, surgical and radiation.
- A medical oncologisttreats cancer using chemotherapy or other medications, such as targeted therapy.
- A surgical oncologistremoves the tumor and nearby tissue during an operation. He or she also performs certain types of biopsies.
- A radiation oncologisttreats cancer using radiation therapy.
In addition, our services are not summarized by aforementioned areas, it also includes:
- Gynecologic oncologist: which treats gynecologic cancers, such as uterine cancer and cervical cancer.
- Pediatric oncologist: the one who treats cancer in children. Some types of cancer occur most often in children and teenagers, such as certain brain tumors, leukemia, However, they sometimes occur in adults. In these cases, an adult may decide to work with a pediatric oncologist.
- Hematologist-oncologist: a specialist who diagnoses and treats blood cancers, such as leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma.
The role of the oncologist
An oncologist oversees a patient’s care from the cancer diagnosis throughout the course of the disease. The oncologist’s role includes the following:
- Explaining the cancer diagnosis and stageto the patient
- Discussing all relevant treatment options and the oncologist’s recommendations
- Delivering high-quality, compassionate care
- Helping the patient manage cancer-related pain and other symptoms or treatment side effects
The most important diagnostic tool remains the clinical history of the patient. Common symptoms that point towards cancer include fatigue, weight loss, unexplained anemia, fever of unknown origin etc.
Treatment of cancer may involve other specialists as well. This includes a surgeon, a radiation oncologists or a radiotherapist etc. The whole of the cancer therapy however is coordinated by the oncologists.